Sunday, August 04, 2013

Tribute to An Inspiring Teacher

County Kerry, Ireland. Home of Brother Albinus. Picture sourced from here.

Today I'm reminded of my high school days. One filled with laughter and lots of hope. A life that has been inspired by many around me.

Today, one of those inspirations has gone to be with the Lord. One who knew his purpose in life and even better; what God's will was for his life.

Today, Sarawak lost a beautiful treasure. One who has touched many lives and impacted generations of students. A life that gave wholeheartedly to educating the less privileged.


********************


Brother Albinus. Photo sourced from here.

English
In all honesty, I did not have much contact time with Brother Albinus while I was in high school. My only time of pupilage under him was English Tuition classes and that was once a week for only a few months in Form 5.

Yet with that little time spent learning from him, I have been impacted immensely. Through his English classes my style of writing changed. I learned to engage the reader better with more fluidity in my writing. Much of what my writings are today have been influenced by his teaching in those few months.


Bible Knowledge
Writing was just part of his impact in my life. A greater impact came when I became a teacher. You see, Brother Albinus was one of the most sought after Bible Knowledge (BK) teachers in Kuching. His reverence towards God's Word, his attention to details in answering the BK questions and his dedication to pushing his students to excellence and demanding nothing less than the best was what produced top scoring students in BK and beyond the achievement piece, gave credibility to the subject in the SPM landscape.


After BK class. Captured by my student :)
When I was given the responsibility to head the BK subject in Green Road, I knew I had to step up. Having been Brother Albinus' student before, I knew how strict I needed to be in teaching God's Word and how much I needed to demand of my students. Every time I stepped into my BK class, besides God as my guidance, I always set my standards against that of Brother Albinus.

Choosing to set that expectation on myself paid off. God blessed me and my students with good results during the years of my teaching.


********************

So today when I saw posts on Facebook on the demise of this great teacher, I knew I had to somehow pay tribute to his impact in my life; and the best way that I knew how was to give what he taught me best: WRITING.

So here's to you Brother Albinus. Thank you for being such an inspiration to not just me, but MANY MANY others. You've set the bar high in so many ways and left a legacy that leave many wanting.

Here's to seeing your impact grow beyond the people you have touched.


[NOTE: To those who do not know him, here's a write up about him from our local paper; the Borneo Post.]



Ciao.

p.s.: Here's to all, whose lives have been touched by Brother Albinus. He's in a better place now. :)

2 comments:

  1. I've heard many people I respect speak highly of him but I've never really met him. That's just too bad.
    I'm so glad he came to Sarawak. He truly is a beautiful treasure.

    His work now lives on in you & in the thousands he's been in contact with. Just imagine that. How wonderful this teaching vocation is.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, for you to work near Sibu and come from Kuching, you would have definitely heard about Brother Albinus :)

    Yet even though you have never met him, you do see the fruits of his labour as you said in people you RESPECT and that is who Brother Albinus was. A man with dignity. A man with humility and a man of integrity.

    But most importantly a man who loved God; and because of that love that can only come from God, he had the capacity to love so many others.

    I am truly honoured to carry his influence in my life even though only for awhile.

    As for your last statement; YES. How wonderful it is. To be able to look forward to that legacy that we leave behind. :')

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...